It's snowing right now.
Currently addressing some things regarding the IRV and the cost of new voting machines. After this I will probably discuss the special ballots from a previous TED talk (the ones that allow any voter to verify the election results, increasing transparency and confidence in the system).
I will also have to transition into voter registration at some point, and figure out where to discuss campaign advertising and media/voter knowledge. Voter knowledge will be a particularly depressing section, and will probably feature data showing how misinformed large sectors of the public are (polls and studies showing how little people know about campaign fund sources, several polls showing that people still think Obama is Muslim, other polls showing that this opinion actually changes their vote, etc.)
The paper has reached 4 pages in Calibri font, single-spaced (with no cover page or works cited and I'm not anywhere near done) so this is probably gonna meet whatever length requirements are issued in the future.
Also I will be spending some time hunting down mysteriously vanished sources (I remembered reading them but apparently did not save them anywhere).
Update: I have so far concluded the IRV section of the paper and have transitioned into the voter registration section. Here I will be discussing Michigan's qualified voter file system. Also helping Michelle with some difficulties.. one of the sources she needs is in German so if anyone knows where the English version is please tell. Also I think I solved the provisional voting/same day registration struggle. I will have states choose which one they want, like they do with primaries and caucuses.
Update: Mr. Correa is throwing office supplies and as a result of the situation in that side of the room Dante might switch to refugee status and sit here... Tschiemer attributes this behavior to the death of Leonard Nimoy. More news to follow.
This is going to sound irrelevant, but we are watching House of Cards later which might remind me of other flaws in our political system that I need to address. This would help illustrate the corruptibility of the government and the importance of political campaigns to such candidates. The fictional representation gives the audience a false view of how the US government truly functions but gives rough insights to the true processes. (Jesus wrote those last two sentences when I left my computer unattended. Pretty good, huh?)
Saturday update: Stumbled on this disturbing piece by NPR about racial discrimination in elections. While it's not as obvious or blatant as poll taxes and quizzes, this subtle discrepancy between treatment of minorities by election officials raises serious concerns.
No comments:
Post a Comment