Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Paper, Plurality Wins

I continued writing my paper today. Because of this I had to research some statistics about plurality wins:
Fifteen presidential elections have resulted in the election of someone who received a plurality vote (they did not win the majority of the vote). Three candidates have won two terms with plurality wins. [x]

Additionally, plurality wins occur as early as the primaries, which means that the system has deep roots and will be hard to fix. This is especially concerning because primaries tend to have lower turnout than the general election anyway and for the candidates to still not win a majority of the few people who are voting is suspicious to the party of non voters, who take this as further reason to not participate. The idea that a candidate can win primaries and the general election without a majority vote severely undermines democracy and lowers faith in the election system.
I am currently discussing the IRV and the modified rotating regional lottery plan in the paper.

It is still difficult to find ways to highlight some side issues that do not really directly affect my thesis but help it achieve its purpose in other ways (felon disenfranchisement, etc.) but most of my other topics are in the outline and I think I should be able to finish the paper in a timely manner. Going over my old sources and remembering everything I want to put in is a little difficult, but with my Google docs the second I remember something I want to add I can make a note of it in the outline so hopefully I get in everything I wanted to talk about.

Update on judges: one of my prospects thinks his wife might be better suited, so he's confirming dates with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment