Monday, February 16, 2015

Final Presentation, Paper

My presentation date has been set for April 22nd at 11:00 am! (Apologies to Michelle, who apparently wanted the same date).
Working more on the paper today (of course) and also looking at the product standards more to see what else I can add into my final product.
The product should:
Present new ideas and change the understanding of the field
  • I will do this by presenting the reforms together as a group of changes that will affect the system at every point in time. Most analysts propose one reform centered on the electoral college or the voting registration process; my project hopes to combine them to achieve a greater effect on the system as a whole. I hope to get professionals to see the presidential election system as one that has flaws that are reinforced early on, before candidates even choose to run; the problems do not just appear at the general election.
Propose innovative solutions and new applications
  • I primarily hope to do this with my use of technology in solving many problems in the voting process. The TED talks have really helped in this regard, as I can see examples of innovative solutions that are being implemented in other parts of the world. I also hope to implement local things (such as Michigan's sophisticated voter registration system) on a nationwide level.

Demonstrate extensive understanding of the field and its themes

  • The depth of my research and the wide range of reforms should showcase my understanding of the field.

Provide unique and sophisticated analysis of the trends and connections to other fields

  • I will focus on drawing connections to fields such as advertising, finance, technology, social media, etc.

Make a difference in the lives of self and others

  • In improving a system that affects everyone living here and even people living abroad I hope to make a difference in others lives and in my own. My project will help citizens become more connected and involved with their government and thus shape the impact the bureaucracy has on our lives.
Still in the campaign finance part of my product paper. There has been a trend in increasing focus on this topic. Polls from 1997 show that it was a non issue [x], and even voters as late as the 2008 presidential elections were not very aware of where or how their candidates were funded [x].
Gallup put the issue very well: "Campaign finance reform is like world peace: Everyone thinks it's a great idea and supports efforts to secure it, but almost no one expects it to happen."

Reminders:
We have a class meeting on Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment