I am really having trouble finding positive articles regarding the caucuses. There is some data to show that primaries and caucuses are equally likely to have bad demographic representation, but this isn't a pro for caucuses. As can be seen in the last post, there are a litany of concerns being raised when it comes to caucuses and the only clear reason that we haven't eliminated them is tradition.
Basically for caucus reform, abolishing the system all together will be difficult, but a slow transition to a system more similar to a primary will have to be suggested (maybe beginning with changing caucuses to closed primaries, then transitioning towards open primaries).
Looked more into felon disenfranchisement today. There are arguments being made that these laws are a form of racial discrimination. Also many states actually allow felons to vote once they are released (or with other conditions) but the felons themselves are not informed of this fact and thus do not vote because they are not aware that they can.
Checking out some procon articles about the issue, but first I need to put all my new sources in one file, so I'm putting that together today. (here is the file). Sources that were already in the annotated bibliography are not included.
Notes on this article: The US is the only country amount post-industrial nations to disenfranchise non-incarcerated felons. It also has a very high incarceration rate (686/100,000 vs. 105 in Canada, 95 in Germany, and 45 in Japan). The study, by analyzing data about voter turnout in states that had disenfranchisement vs those that didn't or had different rules, determined that felon disenfranchisement resulted in changes in elections. It also could have influenced 7 highly contested senate elections, which doesn't sound like much but could influences which party had a majority. The felon disenfranchisement would also have affected the 2000 presidential election (under worst case scenarios, where the expected turnout of ex-felons is halved, Gore would have still carried the state of Florida by several thousand votes.) The 1960 election (Kennedy vs. Nixon) could have actually resulted in Nixon's victory had current rates of felon disenfranchisement been present.
On a side note, it's been really cool to see how my thesis is overlapping with so many others, even in ways that I wasn't expecting. Campaign funding relates to Kendall's thesis about PACs, campaign ads relate to Keilah's advertising thesis, and felon disenfranchisement relates to Amy's thesis about prisons for profit. While the connections are interesting and help me get more sources for data, they also showcase how widespread the problems are regarding voter turnout and the election system, as well as how far reaching the consequences are.
Caucuses confuse me; I don't know their origin and attacking the reform part is difficult. I guess first I have to see what, if any, constitutional barriers will appear when I'm trying to suggest reform for them...
No comments:
Post a Comment