Thursday, November 6, 2014

Day 25! (Outline, Turnout)

Worked more on the outline today and organizing notes. I got interrupted last time I was looking for caucus reform so I will be working more on that today. The cool thing about this outline is I can take notes on whichever part of the election process I feel like doing at the moment.

Researched some statistics on voter turnout to see what is being done to address the problem and who exactly we are addressing. Nonvoters are more likely than voters to be poor, not have a college education, and are more diverse in ethnicity. They have weak partisan views and are more likely to support aid to the poor. Surprisingly this other statistic shows that Asian-American turnout is low; many participants stated the reason for this as "conflicting work or school schedules."
Voters also have a negative opinion of Super PACs and the Citizens United ruling.
Felon disenfranchisement is another issue which I read about today. 5.3 million Americans are kept from voting because of this. 75% of people disenfranchised because of a felony are not living in prison.

I was researching voter turnout a lot so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I accidentally found a report on voter turnout in 2012. Unfortunately I found it 6 minutes before the bell, so it's homework reading.

Set of polls regarding the 2012 presidential election.

Also got some scholarship stuff back from Ms. Marberry and I've gotten my acceptance letter from UTD (that was strange because it was October 31st and Blaine predicted in the Inkling's horrorscopes that we would be getting college letters soon)...

No comments:

Post a Comment