Now that I've worked significantly on the aspect of changing the voting system so that every vote counts and it's easier to vote, I need to work on voter knowledge and perception. This mainly originates in the media through ads, televised debates, polls, and news reporters. I want to suggest some changes that will allow the voters to get real information about the candidates' platforms and viability, instead of the constant feed of slandering and attacking that they currently receive.
I would like there to be a greater focus on policy ideas, where experts in certain fields analyze the candidates' platforms and project how successful they will be, as well as the hassles that will be involved in carrying them out.
Some statistics about media coverage that I looked at today:
In 2012, coverage of the candidate policy positions comprised the second-largest category of coverage, 22%, similar to 2008. [x]
"rather than a window to examine the candidates’ ideas at more length, the debates became a frame about campaign momentum to a greater degree than the rest of the campaign." (same source as above)
Democrats who thought Obama was Muslim were less likely to vote for him [x]
69% of voters are skeptical about the veracity of political ads, regardless of if the ads were positive or negative [x]
Ad campaigns were found to be more negative in swing states [x]
Campaign ads and their effect (NPR)
Who doesn't vote and why (poll) found this a little late, might need to talk more about it next class.
Update: people who don't vote are more likely to be single and admit to not knowing much about candidates and being "bored with politics". They are less educated and less affluent than consistent voters. They also express less confidence in the government and cited reasons for not voting/registering that included moving often and not having enough time.
I spent longer than I should have trying to get access to this study (How Large and Long-lasting Are the Persuasive Effects of Televised Campaign Ads? Results from a Randomized Field Experiment)
I haven't gotten in yet, but this article summarized what it was saying. Ads have a small but powerful short term effect, and can boost ratings in polls. Since horse-race analysis is the biggest proponent of media coverage in elections, this is an important effect to have.
Reminder section:
I have to pick up transcripts and a rec letter from Mr. Templet on Tuesday
Need to watch the TED talk on voter fraud that has been saved for some time, also should re-watch the one about click baiting
Research more on the formulation of the presidential platform (who comes up with it, is it checked for efficacy, etc.)
Continue the hunt for judges (I have contacted professors of political science at local universities, I need to work more on finding past campaign volunteers)
No comments:
Post a Comment