Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Bibliography and ACT

We received practice packets for the ACT today. I am getting my sources together and annotating them. I am scheduled to go over an application essay with Mr. Templet on Friday.

A potential mentor (recommended by Mr. Correa, thanks sir) responded. I am going to discuss my thesis with her on Thursday to see if she can help. If it's not her field there's a good chance she knows somebody who could help.

For comparison and ideas: Electoral systems from around the world (Notes: legislative electoral systems were split into three categories (majoritarian, proportional, and mixed). I was interested to see that the idea of ranking candidates was used in some countries, since this was been suggested for use in the United States at an MIT event.)

Reforming the nomination process (Notes: The panel concluded that the primaries and caucuses should start later than they did in 2008; the earlier they start, the more they favor candidates with better funding. It was also proposed that the states which hold the primaries and caucuses first rotate, ending Iowa and New Hampshire's influential status. Having small states hold the primaries/caucuses first would allow the larger states to get more information about candidates through the media. the main goals of the nomination process were also stated: it should elect quality candidates, not the most well-known or best financed, the earlier voting states should provide information to the later states, there should be maximum participating/voter turnout, and the states should have equal power over the process).

No comments:

Post a Comment