Monday, October 27, 2014

Day 21: Gubernatorial Debates

I have obtained the transcripts for the debates between Greg Abbott and Wendy Davis, since I am a resident of Texas.
After I read them, I will read one of the presidential debates as well.
--- Notes ---
Standardized testing: both candidates want less standardized tests. Davis asserts that Abbott wants standardized testing for 4 year olds. Abbott denied this and Davis said that he stated that as part of his education plan on page 21. The plan states that he wants assessments for pre-K and provided three options, one of which was standardized testing. Davis stated that she wants testing as a measure of teacher success to be less high stakes.
Overall (I suppose this happens in every debate) each candidate had moments where he/she avoided the question, was vague about a plan, started an attack on the other candidate, or blamed a problem on something or someone else instead talking about what they would do, which are things that should be avoided in debates. This was most often seen when faced with direct questions, especially during the ethics questions.
I think requiring clear written proposals for every issue is a must for all candidates and each debate should be fact checked by multiple, unbiased sources. Also, each candidate's plan for any issue should be verified for efficacy by experts in the field.
Politifact fact check for the second debate
Houston Chronicle fact check for the second debate

Houston Chronicle fact check for the first debate
(seriously need another one to verify, but first debate analyses with fact checks are scarce...)

I also helped Stephen by doing his survey for thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment